I have really been loving orb chandeliers! I knew I wanted one in our new place, but I didn't have the budget to buy a $1000 chandelier! So I decided to make my own!
These are a few of my inspirations:
|Our Boat House|
And this is my version! Total cost was around $25!
I bought this brass light fixture from the thrift store for $1 and it has been in my closet for a couple of years waiting to be transformed. I considered using metal plant hangers to create the caged look, but the cost for the size I needed was around $35 each and that was a little more than I wanted to spend. So I had an epiphany...embroidery hoops!
What you need:
- Thrifted light fixture
- 2 large embroidery hoops (this will be 4 hoops total)
- Rust-Oleum spray paint (Oil Rubbed Bronze)
- E6000 glue
- Drill and screw
- Hand saw
- The best way to assemble this is to hang the chandelier from a pole positioned between two chairs. (I did the first coat of spray paint before I put it together but I recommend waiting until it is completely assembled)
- First use a hand saw to saw off the blocks that hold the screws on the embroidery hoops, and also make a cut in one of the solid hoops.
- Vertically assemble the 3 cut hoops until you like the spacing, attach with E6000 to the top of the chandelier. It might not look that pretty on the top but don't worry you won't be able to see.
- Drill a hole through all three hoops at the bottom and connect them with a screw.
- The final step is to spray paint. It took two cans of Rust-Oleum to completely cover everything.
I love how it turned out!